This information is for prospective students:
- applying to SFU and the Beedie School of Business
- who are transferring from an external college or university (excluding Fraser International College), and have not completed any coursework at SFU
- applying for the Fall 2016 to Summer 2017 admission terms
Students are encouraged to complete the external transfer application once they have completed between 30-45 units and the requirements outlined below. Why? This is because upon entry you will be completing the remaining courses required for completion of the end of second year at SFU Beedie.
1. Meet the SFU General Admission Requirements
SFU has three admission requirements, which must be fulfilled in order to gain admission to the university. These are:
2. Meet the Beedie School of Business Academic Requirements
Applicants must complete the following Academic Requirements in order to be eligible for admission consideration:
- Business Admission Average:
Students have two opportunities to gain admission to the Beedie School of Business:
Applicants will be invited to submit an online supplemental application if they have either a:
- 2.80 to 3.29 Business Admission GPA on the 9 required courses (see section B below); or
- ≥3.30 GPA on 5 or fewer of the 9 required courses, with the remaining 4 or more courses in progress
Students from this group will be competitively selected for admission based on a combination of academic performance and the online supplemental application. → TIP: Learn more about the Supplemental Application, how to prepare, and answers to common questions.
If students choose not to complete the supplemental application, they will only be considered under the GPA-Only Entry requirements.
*IMPORTANT: Keep a record of your supplemental invitation email, as it will contain instructions on where and by when to complete your online supplemental application.
For guaranteed, direct-entry into the BBA Major program, applicants must achieve a 3.30 or higher admission GPA on the 9 required courses (see section B below).
*NOTE: If you have completed 5 or fewer of the 9 required courses, with the remaining 4 or more courses in progress you will be considered under the GPA with Supplemental Application option above.
→ TIP: Use our GPA Calculator to calculate your Business Admission Average.
Complete the following 9 required courses. These courses are used to calculate the Business Admission Average:
- BUEC 232-4 Data and Decisions I (or Stat 270-3)
- BUS 237-3 Introduction to Technology Management
- BUS 251-3 Financial Accounting I
- BUS 272-3 Behavior in Organizations
- ECON 103-4 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 105-4 Principles of Macroeconomics
- MATH 157-3 Calculus for the Social Sciences I (or MATH 151-3, 154-3, or 150-4)
Any two of**:
- ENGL 101W-3 Introduction to Fiction or ENGL 111W-3 Literary Classics in English (NEW NUMBER FALL 2016)
- ENGL 102W-3 Introduction to Poetry ENGL 112W-3 Literature Now em>(NEW NUMBER FALL 2016)
- ENGL 103W-3 Introduction to Drama or ENGL 113W-3 Literature and Performance (NEW NUMBER FALL 2016)
- ENGL 104W-3 Introduction to Prose Genres or ENGL 114W-3 Language and Purpose (NEW NUMBER FALL 2016)
- ENGL 105W-3 Introduction to Literature and Culture or ENGL 115W-3 Literature and Culture (NEW NUMBER FALL 2016)
- ENGL 199W-3 Introduction to University Writing
- PHIL XX1-3 Critical Thinking or PHIL 105-3 Critical Thinking (NEW NUMBER FALL 2016)
- PHIL 100W-3 Knowledge and Reality
- PHIL 120W-3 Moral Problems
- WL 101W-3 Writing About Literature
- WL 103W-3 Pre-Modern World Literature
- WL 104W-3 Modern World Literature
Students within British Columbia (BC) should plan by referring to the BC Transfer Guide for course transferability. NOTE: Sometimes, in order to gain transfer credit for a single course, two or more courses need to have been completed at your current college/university.
Students outside of British Columbia (BC) should consult with SFU Admissions (email@example.com) for guidance on course transferability.
* Please note that BUS 202-3 (Foundations for Collaborative Work Environments), BUS 207-3 (Managerial Economics) and BUS 254-3 (Managerial Accounting) are listed in the SFU Calendar as lower division courses for the Business Major and most Joint Major programs, but are not required for admission.
** Any one, but not more than one of these courses may be replaced by any three unspecified transfer units in English or in ENGL-Writing at the 100- or 200-level.
Of the 9 required courses, only 2 of these courses may be repeated one time each (i.e. BUS 251 can be taken a maximum of two times total).
If more than 2 of the 9 required courses for admission have been repeated, the best 2 repeated courses will be used in the Business admission average calculation. Subsequent repeated, required courses would be evaluated based on the letter grade achieved on the first attempt at the course.
A minimum C- (C minus) grade is required in each of the 9 required courses, which complies with the graduation requirements outlined in the SFU Calendar.
3. Begin your application to SFU at EducationPlannerBC
STEP 1: Review SFU’s application deadlines for the term to which you are applying .
STEP 2: Create your EducationPlannerBC account online at: apply.educationplannerbc.ca; or log in again if you already have an existing account.
STEP 3: Enter your academic and biographical information.
STEP 4: Choose the Beedie School of Business as your 1st Choice! Only students who list the Beedie School of Business as their first choice will be evaluated for admission.
→ TIP: Make sure not to forgot to include a 2nd Choice program.
STEP 5: Once your application is complete, you will receive your permanent, 9-digit SFU applicant/student number (i.e. 301 - - - - - -).
4. How to Submit your transcript and documents
Log-in to your Student Services Centre (go.sfu.ca) to check your application status and follow-up on any "To-Do" list items to ensure your application is complete so it can be evaluated.Submit all admissions-related documents (i.e. official transcripts, official test scores, and proof of citizenship/landed status) to SFU Admissions by the deadline on your To-Do List. For details on how to submit your required docuements, please see SFU Admissions' Documents webpage.
Undergraduate Admissions, Student Services
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
Need help? Email SFU Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Next steps
STEP 1: Upon admission into the Beedie School of Business you will be asked to accept your offer of admission through the Student Information System.
→ TIP: Make sure to follow the steps outlined on the New Undergraduates website, including how to accept your offer.
→ TIP: Course Planning Resources:
- Business Major Course Planners
- Business Major students must enroll in BUS 202-3 upon admission. Learn more about this essential course here.
- Undergraduate Academic Advising Office
STEP 3: Get connected early and stay informed!
Do you have more questions? Contact one of our helpful undergraduate advisors.