Internal Transfer from another SFU Faculty
Who is Eligible to Apply?
This information is for current SFU students who are:
- currently in a SFU Faculty other than the Beedie School of Business
- seeking admission to the Business Major or a Business Joint Major program
- applying for the Fall 2016 to Summer 2017 admission terms
1. Meet the Beedie School of Business Academic Requirements
Admission to the Business Major or a Business Joint Major Program
Students seeking internal transfer into the Beedie School of Business are required to meet the following admission requirements and are encouraged to consult with a Beedie or Student Services Academic Advisor before applying.
- Units Required for Admission
- SFU CGPA Requirement
- Business Admission Average:
Students will be invited to submit an online supplemental application if they have either a:
- 2.80 to 3.29 Business Admission GPA on a minimum of 6 of the 9 required courses for admission complete, with no more than 3 of the 9 required courses in progress; or
- ≥3.30 GPA on 5 of the 9 required courses complete with the remaining 4 courses in progress
Students from this group will be competitively selected for admission based on a combination of academic performance and their online supplemental application.
→ TIP: Learn more about the Supplemental Application, how to prepare, and answers to common questions.
If students choose not to complete the supplemental application, they will only be considered under option two below, the GPA-Only Entry requirements.
Students who achieve a 3.30 or higher Business Admission GPA on the required courses* (see section D below) will be admitted directly into the Beedie School of Business.
*NOTE: If you have 5 of the required 9 courses completed, with the remaining courses in progress, you will be considered under the GPA with Supplemental Application option above.
(*IMPORTANT: Keep a record of your supplemental invitation email as it will contain instructions on where, by when, and how to complete your application.)
- Courses Used for Admission:
Completion of a minimum of 30 units
Attain a minimum SFU cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.40.
Students applying to the Business Major program or to a Business Joint Major Program have two opportunities to gain admission to the Beedie School of Business:
→ TIP: Use our GPA Calculator to calculate your Business Admission Average.
Complete the following 9* required courses. These courses are also used to calculate the Business Admission Average:
- BUEC 232-4 Data and Decisions I (or Stat 270-3)
- BUS 237-3 Introduction to Technology Management
- BUS 251-3 Financial Accounting I
- BUS 272-3 Behavior in Organizations
- ECON 103-4 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 105-4 Principles of Macroeconomics
- MATH 157-3 Calculus for the Social Sciences I (or one of, MATH 151-3, 154-3, 150-4)
- ENGL 101W-3 Introduction to Fiction or ENGL 111W-3 Literary Classics in English (NEW COURSE FALL 2016)
- ENGL 102W-3 Introduction to Poetry or ENGL 112W-3 Literature Now (NEW COURSE FALL 2016)
- ENGL 103W-3 Introduction to Drama or ENGL 113W-3 Literature and Performance (NEW COURSE FALL 2016)
- ENGL 104W-3 Introduction to Prose Genres or ENGL 114W-3 Language and Purpose (NEW COURSE FALL 2016)
- ENGL 105W-3 Introduction to Literature and Culture
- ENGL 115W-3 Literature and Culture (NEW COURSE FALL 2016)
- ENGL 199W-3 Introduction to University Writing
- PHIL XX1-3 Critical Thinking or PHIL 105-3 Critical Thinking (NEW COURSE FALL 2016)
- PHIL 100W-3 Knowledge and Reality
- PHIL 120W-3 Moral Problems
- WL 101W-3 Writing About Literature
- WL 103W-3 Pre-Modern World Literature
- WL 104W-3 Modern World Literature
Any two of**:
*NOTE: The following courses are not required for admission, though they are listed as part of the lower division requirements for graduation: BUS 202-3 (Foundations of Collaborative Work Environments), BUS 207-3 (Managerial Economics) and BUS 254-3 (Managerial Accounting).
** Any one, but not more than one of these courses may be replaced by any three unspecified transfer units in English or in ENGL-Writing at the 100- or 200-level.
STEP 1: Please ensure that you are declared in the non-Business portion of your intended joint major program by the time you apply to the Beedie School of Business.
STEP 2: Complete the lower division required courses* as specified under the SFU Calendar for the Business portion of the Joint Major program you are interested in.
* NOTE: The following courses are not required for admission, though they are often listed as part of the lower division requirements for graduation in most joint major programs: BUS 202-3 (Foundations of Collaborative Work Environments), BUS 207-3 (Managerial Economics) and BUS 254-3 (Managerial Accounting).
Of the required courses noted in section D above, only 2 of these courses may be repeated one time each (i.e. BUS 251 can be taken a maximum of two times total).
- If more than 2 of the required courses for admission have been repeated, the best 2 repeated courses will be used in the Business admission average calculation. Subsequent repeated, required courses would be evaluated based on the letter grade achieved on the first attempt at the course.
- A minimum C- (C minus) grade is required in each of the required courses noted in section D, which complies with the graduation requirements outlined in the SFU Calendar.
2. Apply to the Beedie School of Business Online
Apply for admission to the Business Major or a Business Joint Major program either once you have completed or during the term in which you are completing the specific lower division required courses for admission*.
NOTE: once applications have closed for the current term, you will no longer be able to submit, or make changes to, your application.
*A confirmation email will be sent upon the successful receipt of your application. Please ensure to save this confirmation email for reference. Questions? please contact the undergraduate advising office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
→ TIP: During your application you may also select the option to be considered for the Business Minor program should you not gain admission to the Business Major or Business Joint Major program. Learn more about the Business Minor program.
Internal Transfer Application Periods:
TERM OF ADMISSION
3. Post-Admission to the Business Program: Next Steps
Upon admission into the Business Major or Business Joint Major program, a formal letter will be issued by email to you confirming your offer.
→ TIP: Make sure to check your SFU email so that you don’t miss the opportunity to gain priority enrollment for access to upper division Business courses.
Business Major & Joint Major Next Steps
- Business Major students must enroll in BUS 202-3 upon admission in order to retain their offer of admission. Learn more about this essential course here
- Business Joint Major students should consult the SFU Calendarfor details on their course requirements and their academic advisors for both portions of their program.
STEP 2: Get connected early and stay informed!
Course Planning Resources:
Do you have questions? Contact one of our helpful undergraduate advisors.