For all information and registration – http://www.ubcvcpe.com/bcs-clean-venture-competition
BC’s Clean Venture Competition is the first undergraduate Venture Capital competition in Canada. Contestants will stand out as having learned important business lessons from an experience not offered at any other Canadian institution. Students solve a case with a fantasy venture idea, presenting that plan to students posing as investors, and negotiate financing. Leaders in the venture capital, engineering, and entrepreneur industries will be present and will give direct feedback to the contestants. There are two $1000 prizes for the best entrepreneur and best venture capital teams.
Students can compete as either venture capitalist teams or entrepreneur teams. Entrepreneurs will be given an engineering focused case the day of the competition, out of which they need to form a fantasy start-up. The entrepreneur teams will pitch to the Venture Capitalist (VC) students outlining their business plan: the technology they wish to implement, how they plan to implement it and basic projected financials. The VC’s will then evaluate each presentation and offer financing with a set amount of capital. There will be two rounds of negotiations between teams.
- This competition will span the full day of March 20th.
- To be eligible to compete, individuals must register a team of 3 or 4 students from any undergraduate program in Canada. All teams must indicate their status as “Venture Capital” or “Entrepreneurial” competitors. Please also indicate the specific program you are enrolled in.
- To be selected, candidates will need to provide a comprehensive analysis of a case that will be emailed to each team once registration closes on January 29th.
- Please note that there is no correct or incorrect solution to this case. Each team’s analysis will be evaluated based on analytical ability, creativity and attention to detail.
- From the overall pool of applicants, 4 VC and 4 Entrepreneur teams will be chosen.
- VC teams will evaluate and propose investment offers to Entrepreneur teams’ new enterprise ideas that were developed as a solution to a problem they will be given the day of the competition.
- The panel of judges will be comprised of professional venture capitalists, entrepreneurs and engineers.
- The judges will select one winning team from the VC candidate pool and one team from the Entrepreneur candidate pool. Each winning team will be awarded a cash prize of $1000
- There will be a cost of $20 per team to enter this competition, payment is online and an email with a link will be sent to your team captain after you register.
- Registration deadline: Friday, Jan. 29th
- Entry level case sent out to all the teams: Sunday, Jan. 30th
- Entry level case submission deadline: Wednesday, Feb. 10th
- Teams selection for the competition: Friday, Feb. 12th
- TBD: Workshop #1-Entrepreneur Teams
- TBD: Workshop #2-VC Teams
- Competition date: Saturday Mar. 20th