Culture Fest Week
Event: Mon March 20, 2017Mar 16, 2017
The Global Engagement Student Committee is holding a week-long event full of activities starting March 20th!
List of Events
Meet new people! Try new activities! Free food and prizes! Join us at the Culture Fest Week events!
- International Games Night – March 20th | 4:00 – 6:00 pm at the Global Student Centre (AQ 2013)
- Movie & Dialogue: Stand up against Racism – March 21st | 2:00 – 4:00 pm at Halpern Centre 126
- Global Tea House – March 22nd | 12:00 – 2:00 pm at the James Douglas Safe Study Area
- Speed Dating (meets Speed friend-ing!) – March 23rd | 12:30 – 2:30 pm at the James Douglas Safe Study Area
- Culture Fest with SFSS – March 24th | 11:00 – 2:00 pm at the Convocation Mall (check out the SFSS event page here:https://www.facebook.com/events/337815796616001/)
- Bonus Event: Interfaith: Non-Violence Day: Facing Racism – Mar 29th | 12:30 – 1:20 pm at the James Douglas Safe Study Area
For more information on the events, and registration, please visit:
Facebook event: http://bit.ly/2noXw2q
Check out the promotional video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qwk57whozw
Movie & Dialogue: Stand up against Racism
To mark the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, the Global Engagement Student Committee, in collaboration with SFU International and International Services for Students, present “For Angela” – an award winning film from the National Film Board of Canada. Join us for this short film, and a discussion about empowerment, and standing up against racism in a Canadian context.
We are grateful for the assistance of the following people, who have kindly agreed to help facilitate our discussion:
- Victor Thomas, Director, Interfaith Centre
- Sangeeta Bhonsale, Coordinator, Burnaby Family Life (Organizing Against Racism and Hate program)
- TBA, First Nations Student Association
- Ayan Mohamud Ismail, Student, World University Service of Canada
- Tola Adetona, Student, Global Engagement Student Committee
Date: March 21st
Location: Halpern Centre 126
Light Refreshments provided.
To register, click here
Bonus Event: Non-Violence Day: Facing Racism
Hosted by SFU Interfaith Centre
Date: March 29
Time: 12:30PM – 1:20PM
Location: James Douglas Safe Study Area
This year’s annual Non-Violence Day’s theme is Facing Racism and Rising above it.
We will have 5 student speakers from different faith backgrounds, sharing their 5-minute stories about how they overcame racism and continue to move forward. There will be coffee, tea & snacks as well as a potluck lunch following the event.
For more information, visit the Facebook event page.