Founded in 2011 with the generous support of the Beedie family, Beedie
Endowment Asset Management (BEAM) is a $5 million investment fund run entirely
by undergraduate students from Simon Fraser University’s Beedie School of
- BEAM is one of the largest undergraduate student-run investment funds in
Canada, with $5 million invested in Canadian equities, fixed income, and
- BEAM is truly student-run. The members are responsible for administering
the group, preparing economic research and analysis, and making
investment decisions. The Faculty Advisor and Program Advisor provide
minimal guidance and feedback when necessary.
- BEAM is not a trading game or simulation. It manages a portfolio on
behalf of Simon Fraser University and is ranked along with the university’s
professional money managers. Fund performance and compliance are
tracked daily by BEAM members, and reported on at quarterly performance
- Students selected for BEAM undergo a rigorous, hands-on training
program including Bloomberg terminal certification, financial analysis, and
equity research. The emphasis is on developing the same applied skills that
would be expected in a real-world finance job.
- BEAM accepts approximately 10 students per year, with admission on a competitive basis, and involvement with the fund lasts until the completion of the member’s undergraduate degree.
If you are a current/prospective Beedie School of Business student with an interest
in joining BEAM, please refer to the “Join Our Team” tab above.