Americas MBA for Executives
Four widely respected graduate business schools in North and South America have partnered to offer an innovative new international Executive MBA experience.
The Americas MBA for Executives, is an elective stream in the EMBA that provides 60 students from the partner institutions with the opportunity to work together and study management issues in each of the four largest economies in the Americas. Students will take their final courses in four, 8 1/2 day intensive residencies at the four participating schools in Canada, the USA, Mexico and Brazil.
Along with Simon Fraser University, participating schools include:
- FIA Business School, Fundação Instituto De Administração, São Paulo, Brazil
- ITAM, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, Mexico City, Mexico
- Vanderbilt University, Owen Graduate School of Management, Nashville, Tenn., USA
The program grew out of a recognition that global businesses are increasingly aligning their operations around all of the Americas, not just particular regions such as Central, North, and South. It also responds to a growing need among companies and students for business instruction focused more deeply around issues specific to the Americas markets.
The highly selective program begins with each school assembling no more than 15 students to participate in the Americas MBA curriculum. Students will take their first year courses with their SFU cohort. Then during the second year, students from all four schools will be grouped together in cross-cultural study teams, which will embark on a yearlong, global capstone strategy project. The teams will also rotate together to each campus to engage in course work, observe local business practices, cultural events, as well as have face-to-face time for their project work. Each school will offer programming that draws on its core strengths:
- Beginning in Vancouver, the Americas MBA candidates get to know each other through courses, readings and exercises on cross-cultural communications, global business strategy and international human relations management. The study groups will also begin their yearlong capstone project here. August 2014
- Next they go to Brazil, where the Americas MBA students will learn about sustainability, corporate social responsibility, and emerging markets strategies for bottom-of-the-pyramid markets. October 2014
- From there it’s on to Mexico City, where the Americas MBA participants tackle the topics of international competitiveness, and learn how to navigate the large family-owned businesses that are prevalent in the region. January 2015
- The Americas MBA students will spend their final on-campus visit in the U.S. in Nashville focused on launching new ventures within organizations or as entrepreneurs and how to nurture innovation. April 2015
Classes and coursework will be in English,
Course credits are SFU EMBA credits.
There is no additional tuition for the America's MBA option, however students are responsible for their own accommodation, travel and living expenses.