At a Glance
This comprehensive program gives students a 360-degree view of organizations, a strategic mindset and a conceptual framework for new levels of responsibility. Learn to apply a strategic perspective to changing environments, both globally and locally.
Managers ready for executive and leadership positions. You should have at least 10 years of business experience and 4-5 years in management. The average age is 41, and approximately 35 students are accepted annually.
The program starts in September, with classes held all day Friday and Saturday, every other weekend for 20 months. Expect to spend 20-30 hours each week on your academic studies. We recommend enlisting the support of your family and organization before you apply. Students who choose the AMBA elective will take classes with their SFU cohort in the Fall, Spring and Summer terms. The AMBA residencies take place in August 2016 (SFU); October 2016 (Brazil); February 2017 (Mexico); April 2017 (USA).
All classes take place at the Segal Graduate School, located at 500 Granville Street in the heart of Vancouver’s business district. Classes in the America's MBA option will take place at the Segal Graduate School; Owen Graduate School, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA; ITAM campus in Mexico City; and FIA campus in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
A laptop computer is recommended but not essential. All classrooms at the Segal Graduate School of Business include wireless internet access.
- At least 10 years of business experience, with 4-5 years in management
- An undergraduate degree in any discipline, with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 3.0/4.33 (B) or a grade point average of at least 3.33/4.33 (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses (all graduate work is also considered), or a professional designation such as CA, CMA, CGA, CPA, CGA or PEng. Exceptional managers (as determined by career progression) who have a CGPA lower than a 3.0/4.33 (B) in their undergraduate degree, or lack a formal degree or professional designation, but have other outstanding qualifications may be admitted into the program. These applicants will be evaluated on the depth of their work experience, academic background and management/leadership skills. In some cases, the GMAT may be recommended as a way to strengthen an application.
- Current employment in a management position
- Three letters of reference from colleagues, supervisors or significant clients
- Demonstrated proficiency in English may be required if you have not graduated from an English-speaking university or your first language is not English
- Note: A limited number of exceptional managers who lack a formal degree or professional designation, but have other outstanding qualifications may be admitted into the program. Each applicant under this category will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and a GMAT score is required.
Tuition (Fall 2016)
Tuition for 2016-2017 academic year:
$52,500* and includes all course materials, off-site orientation and workshops.
*Tuition is subject to senate approval.
Financing your Future
- Most banks offer a student line-of-credit financing program. For information on BMO’s Professionals Program, click here.
- Another option is a RRSP transfer. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) allows withdrawals from a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) to finance training or education. To learn more about this option, obtain the Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP) guide from CRA or visit www.ccra.gc.ca.
- Over 50% of our current students are financially sponsored, in full or in part, by their employers. We encourage you to discuss financial support with your organization.