How to apply
When to apply?
The application process is detailed below. If you have any questions during the application process or are unable to apply online, please contact the MBA office at 778.782.3552 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- November 15, 2017 for January 2018 intake
*Students need to attend a mandatory online, instructor-led Bootcamp from December 4-17, 2017. Expect to spend approximately 20 hours completing the various learning activities over this 10-day period.
STEP 1: REVIEW APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS BELOW
A) Undergraduate Degree
- Applicants must have an undergraduate degree with a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.5 (3.0 is preferred).
- For questions about international admission requirements, please contact email@example.com.
- A small number of applicants with extensive leadership & management experience may be considered without an undergraduate degree. Each applicant in this category will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
B) Work Experience
- Two or more years of full-time work experience is required.
C) Language Proficiency
- All courses in the GDBA program are taught in English; therefore all applicants must be fluent in English.
- If your primary language is not English or your previous education has been conducted in another language, you must demonstrate sufficient command of the English language as evidenced by achieving a satisfactory score on a standardized English test acceptable to the University.
- The two tests we accept are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) including reading, writing, speaking, and listening components
- International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS).
- The minimum University requirements for test scores is:
- TOEFL 93 with a minimum of 20 in each category (internet based exam) and a TWE of 5 (the paper based TOEFL score is also accepted with a minimum score of 580)
- IELTS overall band score of 7.0
D) Computer Literacy
- Candidates are expected to be computer literate and familiar with the Internet. You will become familiar with how to navigate the Online Learning Management System as part of your GDBA Boot Camp in the first semester of the program.
E) Computer Hardware and Software
- Students are expected to have access to a Mac or Windows computer with multi-media capability (including a headset with microphone) and Microsoft Office.
- Students are expected to have internet access.
- All students will be required to participate in online group conferencing.
- Certain courses may require students to use additional software.
F) Time to Study
- As is the case with other graduate programs, the GDBA requires a significant commitment from participants.
- Typically, you can expect to spend approximately 12-15 hours per week on each course.
- Students with a full course load will take two courses (8 credits) simultaneously.
- The program consists of 24 credits:
- Full-time = 8 credits per semester (one year)
- Part-time = 4 credits per semester (two years)
STEP 2: COMPLETE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- You can start the online application by clicking here
- Your application remains open for one week while you complete it.
- You are required to submit two reference letters.
- The online application form will have a section for you to provide information on your two referees.
- Once you have submitted your online application, your referees will be automatically sent an email requesting them to upload their reference letter.
- Once the reference letter has been submitted, your online checklist will be updated.
- Download the Guide to Writing Reference Letters.
- You are not entitled to review or submit the letter on behalf of the referee, nor can you request information regarding the content or tone of a reference letter or evaluation.
- Guidelines for the submission of reference letters specify that referees state whether or not the applicant will see the letters.
- All letters of reference received at Beedie School of Business, Graduate Programs will be treated as confidential and will not be shared with or returned to applicants or referees.
STEP 3: PAY APPLICATION FEE
- Once you complete and submit the online application form, you will receive a link to pay your application fee approximately 48 hours later.
- You will need to pay an application fee of $90 CAN (students with Canadian transcripts) or $125 CAN (students with international transcripts) by credit card (MasterCard or Visa).
- If you do not pay the application fee within one week of application completion, your application will be cancelled.
STEP 4: UPLOAD & SEND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
- Once you have paid the application fee, you may use the online application system to upload supporting documents for review.
- Applications are evaluated in the order in which they are completed.
- It is to your advantage to upload and submit your supporting documents early to avoid application peaks.
Documents to be uploaded online:Please upload the following supporting documents through the online application system:
- Resume: A complete resume showing employment, volunteer activities, education and other appropriate information.
- Transcripts: A copy of your official/unofficial transcript to expedite the evaluation process. Signed and sealed official transcripts are still required to be mailed directly to the Graduate Business program office. See below for details.
- Self Evaluation: A completed self-evaluation in PDF format. Download the Self Evaluation document.
- TOEFL or IELTS (if applicable): For those students whose first language is not English and whose undergraduate degrees have not been obtained at an institution where English is the language of instructions, please upload of a copy of the score report in PDF format. Please make sure the Educational Testing Service is informed to forward your official score to our office. ETS Code for TOEFL: Department code 01; Institution code 0999.
Documents to be delivered:In addition, please deliver the following supporting document(s) to the Graduate Business Program office at the following address: GDBA Program, Beedie School of Business, Simon Fraser University, 3rd Floor, 500 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC V6C 1W6.
- Official Transcripts: Official transcripts for credit courses from the Registrar of each post-secondary institution you attended must be sent directly to the Graduate Business program office. Only one copy is required from each institution. If the transcripts are issued to you, they must be signed and sealed by your post-secondary institution.
- TOEFL or IELTS (if applicable): Please inform the Educational Testing Service to forward your official score report to our office. Code for TOEFL results: Department code 01; Institution code 0999.
STEP 5: UPON ACCEPTANCE TO THE PROGRAM
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 CDN must be submitted within 21 days of receiving your acceptance letter.
- This deposit reserves your seat in the GDBA program, and will be applied towards your tuition.
- Please note that if you apply late to the program, we may ask you to pay the deposit in less than 21 days.