The seventh annual Opportunity Fest will be held at Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus on Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 (5:00-9pm). Hosted by the Beedie School of Business, this year's event showcases innovators and entrepreneurs from across the university, celebrating and highlighting the increasing interdisciplinary collaboration seen at SFU, and particularly SFU Surrey.
This marketplace-style festival of student creativity gives our students the opportunity to showcase their products and ventures to the wider community. Innovative products, solutions and projects, including product prototypes and business plans will be exhibited. Judges from industry, academia and the wider community will engage with student teams, evaluate their endeavours and award a number of cash and gift prizes for a variety of categories.
A range of proposed categories allows SFU to celebrate the diverse range of innovations being produced, including:
- Most impactful product: innovations that are attempting to address social or sustainable issues
- Most impactful service: innovative services that address social or sustainable issues
- Most innovative technological solution: innovations applying new or improved technological solutions
- Most investable opportunity: projects that will create revenue and have a feasible business model
- Mr. and Ms. Opportunity: The most engaging student presenters will receive the title and a networking lunch with industry judges
- Entrepreneurs Choice: As chosen by the participants
- A showcase of "Junior Innovators" from Fraser Heights Secondary
First Place in each category (including participants choice): $500 Visa Gift Card
Second Pace in each category: $200 Visa Gift Card
Third Place in each category: $100 Gift Card to Central City Brew Pub & Restaurant
The project best demonstrating a dedication to economic, social and environmental impact will also win the Grand Prize in Triple Bottom Line Innovation! Winners of this prize will receive a $1,000 cash gift.
Opportunity Fest is an event that is open to the community. For directions on how to get to SFU Surrey, please visit: http://www.surrey.sfu.ca/maps_directions