Technology and Operations ManagementTo better understand and respond to the challenges confronting firms competing in today’s increasingly global and connected society, the Technology and Operations Management (TOM) Area has broadened its focus to encompass the creation, design and operation of firms and their supply chains and networks, and the development and delivery of new technologies, products and services.
Consequently, the TOM Area includes faculty members who are active researchers and educators on topics such as sustainability, operations management, entrepreneurship, new ventures, innovation and R&D management, game theory, auction analysis, decision making and collaboration networks. With this range of expertise, TOM faculty are committed to generating, synthesizing, and disseminating knowledge on the formation and management of sustainable firms, processes and technologies.
Faculty List & Specializations
|Name||Position||Specialization & Research Interests|
|Yasheng Chen||Assistant Professor||International Financial Reporting Standards, International Tax Management, Performance Measurement, Executive Compensation Plan Design|
|Dennis Chung||Professor||Liquidity, Investor Protection, Market Behaviour|
|Craig Emby||Professor Accounting Area Coordinator||Human information processing / judgment, decision making, particularly professional judgment in accounting and auditing.|
|Michael Favere-Marchesi||Associate Professor||Audit Judgment and Decision-Making, Fraud, Comparative Audit Markets and Systems, Cultural Influences on Accounting and Controls, International Accounting Differences, Internal Auditing.|
|Maureen Fizzell||Senior Lecturer|
|Irene M. Gordon||Professor||Accounting and corporate social responsibility, accounting education, corporate governance, accounting theory, financial accounting|
|Karel Hrazdil||Assistant Professor||Price formation process (market microstructure)
The role of industry classification in capital market research
Financial reporting quality
|Johnny Jermias||Associate Professor||Judgement and decision making, strategic management accounting, performance measurement, innovation in management accounting, corporate governance.|
|Anne Macdonald||Senior Lecturer|
|Kim Trottier||Assistant Professor||Mathematical modeling
Health Care Industry
News & Activities
- Vancouver Sun Op-Ed by Dean Daniel Shapiro: B.C. underrated for start-ups
- Beedie Professor named as Smart Thinker on prestigious Twitter list
- Ambidexterity no easy balancing act for R&D firms: SFU Beedie study
- Is business ready to embrace the power of slow?
- Companies can't turn blind eye to consumers who hack, manipulate products: SFU Business study
- Stephanie Bertels on embedding sustainability into organizational culture
- University Research Parks and Incubators: The Rio Experience
- Business Prof Has One Foot in Oil Patch
- Ian McCarthy's Canada Research Chair Renewed
- Stephanie Bertels Named as Co-investigator on Regulatory Compliance Study
Awards & AchievementsChoo, Eng
- NSERC Discovery Grant: Issues in Preference Calibration under Multiple Criteria. (2005-2009)
- United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship: 2006 Journal of Small Business Strategy Editor’s Choice Award for “Stakeholder Theory and the Entreprenurial Firm” presented at the 2005 USASBE conference.
- NSERC Discovery Grant: Sustainable Operations: Design and Management of Environmentally Conscious Products and Production. (2006-2011)
- SSHRC Standard Research Grant: Opportunity Creation from the Confluence of Technologies. (2006-2010)
- SSHRC Initiative on the New Economy: Disseminating Results from INE Research Study on Commercializing Advanced Materials. (2006-2008)
- Community Trust Endowment Fund: Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology for Medical Application. (2006-2011)
- SSHRC Initiative on the New Economy Grant: Growth of New Technology Based Firms in the Advanced Materials Industry. (2003-2006)
- SSHRC Special Call in Management Business and Finance: How Do University Research Parks Help Their Firms? (2008-2011, with Tom Lawrence)
- SSHRC Standard Research Grant: Performance Measurement and Benchmarking of Biotechnology Firms. (2004-2007)
- Canada Research Chair (2004-2009)
- Soh, PH, Roberts, E. (2005). Technology Alliances and Networks: An External Link to Research Capability. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 52(4), November, pp. 419-428. (Best Paper Award, honorable mention)
Recent Faculty BooksMcCarthy, Ian
- McCarthy I. P. and Gordon B. (Forthcoming). Leveraging Dynamic Capabilities: A Contingent Management Control System Approach. In Wall, S., Zimmerman, C., Klingebiel, R. and Lange, D. (Eds.), Strategic Reconfigurations: Developing Dynamic Capabilities in Rapid-Innovation Based Industries. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Calinescu A., Efstathiou A., MacCarthy B., McCarthy I. P., Deshmukh A., Parmee I., and Machwe A. (Forthcoming). Agent-based Modelling in Manufacturing Supply Networks: Potential Benefits and Open Questions. In Coping with Complexity: Understanding and Managing Complex Agent-Based Dynamic Networks Series Title - Complex Systems and Interdisciplinary Science. World Scientific.
For full papers, please contact the authors.
Journal Articles Published
- Kietzmann, J. H. , Hermkens, K., McCarthy, I. P. and Silvestre, B. S. (2011). Social Media? Get Serious! Understanding the Functional Building Blocks of Social Media. Business Horizons, 54:241-251. ( Download PDF of the Paper )
- McCarthy, I. P . and Gordon, B. R. (2011). Achieving Contextual Ambidexterity in R&D Organizations: A Management Control System Approach. R&D Management, 41.3:240-258. ( Download PDF of the Paper )
- Gupta, S. , Subramanian, R. and Talbot, B. (2010). An Approach to Integrating Environmental Considerations within Managerial Decision Making. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 14.3:378-398. [Journal Abstract]
- Maine, E. , Shapiro, D. and Vining, A . (2010). The Role of Clustering in the Growth of New Technology-based Firms. Small Business Economics, 34.1:127-146. [Journal Abstract]
- McCarthy, I. P. , Pitt, L. F. and Berthon, P. R. (2010). Service Customization Through Dramaturgy. In Flavio S. Fogliatto and Giovani J.C. da Silveria (Eds.) Mass Customization - Engineering and Managing Global Operations (p.43-64). Spinger, London. ( Download PDF of the Chapter )
- McCarthy, I. P. , Lawrence, T. B. , Wixted, B. and Gordon, B. R. (2010). A Multidimensional Conceptualization of Environmental Velocity. Academy of Management Review, 35.4:604-626. ( Download PDF of the Paper )
- Soh, P. , Zhang, J. and Wong, P. K. (2010). Entrepreneurial Resource Acquisition through Indirect Ties: Compensatory Effects of Prior Knowledge. Journal of Management, 36.2:511-536. [Journal Abstract]
- Gupta, S. , Greenberg, J. and Luo, X. (2009). Mutually Acceptable Courses of Action. Economic Theory, 40.1:91-112.
- Gupta, S. , Subramanian, R. and Talbot, B. (2009). Product Design and Supply Chain Coordination under Extended Producer Responsibility. Production and Operations Management, 18.3:259-277.
- Herremans, I., Herschovis, S. and Bertels, S. (2009). Leaders and Laggards: The Influence of Competing Logics on Corporate Environmental Action. Journal of Business Ethics, 89.3:449-472. [Journal Abstract]
- Soh, P. and Subramanian, A. (2009). Contributing Knowledge to Knowledge Repositories: Dual Role of Inducement and Opportunity Factors. Information Resources Management Journal, 22.1:45-62.
- Soh, P. (2009). Network Patterns and a Firm's Competitive Advantage before the Emergence of a Dominant Design. Strategic Management Journal, 31.4:438-461.
- Bliemel, M. J. and McCarthy, I. P. (2008). Networks of Dedicated Biotechnology and Service Firms in Vancouver. Journal of Commercial Biotechnology, 14.3:265-273. [Journal Abstract]
- Bliemel. M. J. and Maine, E. (2008). Network Embeddedness as a Predictor of Performance for New Technology-Based Firms. International Journal of Technoentrepreneurship, 1.3:313-341. [Journal Abstract]
- Cohen, B. , Smith, B. and Mitchell, R. (2008). Toward a Sustainable Conceptualization of Dependent Variables in Entrepreneurship Research. Business Strategy and the Environment, 17:107-119. [Journal Abstract]
- Graham, R. and Bertels, S. (2008). Achieving Sustainable Value. Greener Management International, 54:57-67. [Journal Abstract]
- Greenberg, J., Gupta, S. and Luo, X. (2008). Mutually Acceptable Courses of Action. Economic Theory, 40.1:91-112. [Journal Abstract]
- Gupta, S. (2008). Channel Structure with Knowledge Spillovers. Marketing Science, 27.2:247-261. [Journal Abstract]
- Maine, E. (2008). Radical Innovation Through Internal Corporate Venturing: Degussa's Commercialization of Nanomaterials. R&D Management, 38.4:359-371. [Journal Abstract]
- Maine, E. , Shapiro, D. M. and Vining, A. R. (2008). The Role of Clustering in the Growth of New Technology-Based Firms. Small Business Economics, 34.2:127-146. [Journal Abstract]
- Soh, P. and Subramanian, A. M. (2008). Is Usage a Missing Link in Explaining the Perceived Learning Outcome of Technology-Mediated Learning? IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 50.1:50-66. [Journal Abstract]
- Soh, P. and Yu, J. (2008). Institutional Environment and Complementary Assets: Business Strategy in China's 3G Development. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 27.4:647-675. [Journal Abstract]
- Zhang, J., Souitaris, V., Soh, P. and Wong, P. (2008). A Contingent Model of Network Utilization in Early Financing of Technology Ventures. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 32.4:593-613. [Journal Abstract]
- Berthon, P. R., Pitt, L. F. , McCarthy, I. P. and Kates, S. M. (2007). When Customers Get Clever: Managerial Approaches to Dealing with Creative Consumers. Business Horizons, 50:39-47. [Journal Abstract]
- Cohen, B. and Winn, M. I. (2007). Market Imperfections, Opportunity and Sustainable Entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing, 22.1:29-49. [Journal Abstract]
- Maine, E. and Garnsey, E. (2007). The Commercialization Environment of Advanced Materials Ventures. International Journal of Technology Management, 39.1/2:49-71. [Journal Abstract]
- McCarthy, I. P. , Pitt, L. F . , Campbell, C., van der Merwe, R. and Salehi-Sangeri, E. (2007). Exploiting the Business Opportunities in Biotech Connections: The Power of Social Networks. Journal of Commercial Biotechnology, 13.4:245-257. [Journal Abstract]
- Jula, P. and Leachman, R. C. (2006). Coordinating Decentralized Local Schedulers in Complex Supply Chain Manufacturing. Annals of Operations Research, 161.1:123-147. [Journal Abstract]
- McCarthy, I. P. , Tsinopoulos, C., Allen, P. M. and Rose-Anderssen, C. (2006). New Product Development as a Complex Adaptive System of Decisions. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 23.5:437-456. ( Download PDF of the paper )
- Bliemel, M. J. and McCarthy, I. P. (2008). A Q-Analysis Approach to Entrepreneurial Networks. [Conference Abstract]
- Drori, I. and McCarthy, I.P. (2008). Organizational Tracks: A Case Study. [Conference Abstract]
- McCarthy, I. P. , Lawrence, T. B. , Wixted, B. and Gordon B. R. (2008). Environmental Velocity: A Theoretical Assessment and Typology. [Conference Abstract]
- Choo, E. U. and Wedley, W. C. (2007). Separate Criteria Weights from Outlier Cases in MCDM. [Conference Abstract]
- Bajwa, G., Choo, E. U. and Wedley, W. C. (2007). Effectiveness Analysis of Deriving Priority Vectors from Reciprocal Pairwise Comparison Matrices. [Conference Abstract]
- Gupta, S. (2007). Channel Structure for Durable Products Under Extended Producer Responsibility. [Conference Abstract]