of online study.
Graduate Diploma in Business Administration
The Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (GDBA) is an online program at the graduate level that provides a solid foundation in business fundamentals for people with undergraduate degrees. It also provides a path into the SFU Beedie MBA program for those who decide to continue on to earn an MBA.
In this page
- A four-year undergraduate degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 (3.0 is preferred)
- A small number of applicants with extensive work experience may be considered without an undergraduate degree. Each applicant under this category will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Please note: If your transcripts are not in English and no translation is provided by the University, please download the International Transcript requirements.
- Applicants should have a minimum of two years of full-time professional work experience, following completion of an undergraduate degree, although the average is eight years.
- We take a holistic approach in accepting students for our program. We take into consideration your work and life experiences in addition to your grades and test scores.
- All courses in the GDBA program are taught in English, therefore all applicants must be fluent in English.
- If your primary language is not English or your previous education has been conducted in a country where English is not the primary language (see a full list of accepted countries), you must demonstrate sufficient command of the English language as evidenced by achieving a satisfactory score on a standardized English test acceptable to the University. Find more information about this requirement.
- The six tests we accept are:
- Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS)
- The Canadian Academic English Language Test (CAEL)
- Pearson English Language Test (PTE)
- Cambridge English Qualifications
The minimum University requirements for test scores are:
93 with minimum of 20 in each category. In order to satisfy the requirement, applicants must achieve the scores listed above on a single test date. TOEFL MyBest (super-scored) results will not be used.
580 and TWE 5
overall band score of 7.0 of the academic (NOT general) test with a minimum of 6.5 in each section
overall 70; minimum 60 in each section
Pearson Academic (PTE)
overall 65; minimum 60 in each section
Cambridge English Qualifications
C1 Advanced - minimum score of 193
Please note: Candidates below the English Language requirements will be asked to retake the test.
Computer Literacy and equipment
- Candidates are expected to be computer literate and familiar with the Internet.
- Students are expected to have access to a Mac or Windows computer with multi-media capability (including a headset with microphone), high-speed Internet access, Microsoft Office, and Internet Explorer/Firefox/Safari.
- Certain courses may require you to use additional software.
Time to Study
- Expect to spend approximately 12 to 15 hours per week on each course.
- Lectures, exams, and assignments will be scheduled to accommodate individuals working between Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm PST. If you fall outside of this time zone or schedule, you may need to make occasional adjustments to your schedule.
Special offer for Continuing Studies certificate holders
For professionals who have completed eligible SFU Continuing Studies certificates with 8+ years of work experience, taking the next step and earning a valuable business credential just got more accessible.
New funding made available by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training means you may qualify for up to $6,000 towards the cost of a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (GDBA) at SFU’s Beedie School of Business.
If you are interested in learning more about this pathway and your eligibility, please reach out to Gio Scoppetta firstname.lastname@example.org
Segal Graduate School
500 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC Canada
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC Canada