Master of Science in Finance
At SFU Beedie, you’ll learn inside and outside the classroom. In addition to the academics, optional experiential and extra-curricular activities will help you build leadership skills, add to your professional network and enhance your CV.
Get insights from student ambassadors
Once you’re admitted into the program, you’ll be teamed up with a current MSc Finance student ambassador. This person will be available to meet for coffee (or Skype if you’re not in Vancouver at the time), to share their experiences, offer study tips, advice on where to get textbooks, tell you what they’ve discovered about living in Vancouver, and more. Your student ambassador will not only help you with your transition into the program, but also become one of the first SFU individuals in your professional network.
International students are also paired with an International Student Ambassador. They will share with you first-hand what it was like to move to Vancouver and to study in this new environment. International students are not alone in this important life event.
In partnership with our Career Management Centre, international graduate students who do no have any work experience in Canada can participate in week-long, full time externships. Here, you can prepare for a career in Canada by observing and exploring local workplace culture, expand your network in your preferred industry, and learn the day-to-day responsibilities of decision-makers.
You’ll also have the opportunity to gain leadership experience, build a richer network and enhance your CV through professional associations, events and case competitions.
Build your network in Vancouver
Tap into our vast and engaged alumni network, and be in the right position to land your ideal job. We organize many events throughout the year to give you opportunities to meet influential people and make new business contacts. These include events organized by the local Chapters of:
Gain industry insights
Each year, we offer a select number of MSc Finance students who are a part of the Student Investment Advisory Service (SIAS) Fund, the opportunity to visit Toronto, Canada’s financial capital to tour the head offices of major businesses and institutions. Along the way, you’ll make connections with potential employers and our successful alumni network.
Learn from externship
International graduate students can take advantage of one-week, full-time externships. You can job shadow industry professionals and gain firsthand experience of local workplace culture.
Watch the externship video at the bottom of the page.
Compete with your peers
Each year our students participate in various optional competitions where you get to apply and demonstrate what you’ve learned in the classroom: These include
- National Investment Banking Competition: A pressure-packed 5-hour challenge to create a presentation and pitch to a panel of judges and 300 delegates
- CFA Global Investment Research Challenge: Create a detailed research report for a company and defend their investment thesis to a panel of judges
- ENGAGE International Investment Education Symposium: Take part in the world’s largest Student Managed Portfolio Competition. SFU Beedie MSc Finance students have won the top prize four years in a row
In the MSc Finance program, your cohort includes smart, critical thinkers from all over the world. Our class sizes are small, and offer countless opportunities to work in teams and engage with your cohort.
This experience will help you build relationships that could last throughout your entire career.
- Average class size: 50-65
- Average age: 25
- Degrees held: Economics, Finance, Accounting, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Business, Arts, Science, Technology, Commerce
- Average work experience: 3.5 years
- Languages spoken: Bengali, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, Gujarati, Hindi, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Class profile: 57% women, 43% men
- Average GMAT: 650
- 20% have Master’s degrees
- 80% international students
CMC Externship Promo 2019: ICBC