Master of Science in Finance
Have you got what it takes? If you’re already experienced with working in finance or business, welcome. You’re a great candidate for the MSc Finance program. Find out more about what you’ll need to apply and qualify.
- A four-year undergraduate degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0/4.33 (B) or a grade point average of at least 3.33/4.33 (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses from a recognized University.
- All graduate work is also considered.
- Please note: If your transcripts are not in English and no translation is provided by the University, please download the International Transcript requirements.
- We require a minimum GMAT score of 550. Our competitive recommendation is 600+.
- We also accept the GRE exam with a minimum score of 155 in each section.
- The GMAT/GRE will be waived for any candidate who has successfully:
- Passed CFA Level I or above
- Graduated from Simon Fraser University with distinction*
* Graduate with distinctions (CGPA of 3.5 or higher) from a related program (reach out to email@example.com if you have questions on this)
- To submit your GMAT, please make sure the GMAC is informed to forward your official score to our office at code 6G8-N3-47
- To submit your GRE, please make sure the Educational Testing Service is informed to forward your official score to our office at our Institution code 7112 Department 4201.
- It takes up to 20 business days for official scores to arrive at SFU. To ensure there is no delay in the application process, please forward your unofficial GMAT/GRE scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The GMAT/GRE may be taken as often as desired, and SFU will only consider the highest score. The GMAT score is valid for five years from the exam date.
All courses in the Master of Science in Finance program are taught in English, therefore all applicants must be fluent in English.
If your primary language is not English or your previous education has been conducted in a country where English is not the primary language (see a full list of accepted countries), you must demonstrate sufficient command of the English language as evidenced by achieving a satisfactory score on a standardized English test acceptable to the University. Find more information about this requirement.
The six tests we accept are:
- Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS)
- The Canadian Academic English Language Test (CAEL)
- Pearson English Language Test (PTE)
- Cambridge English Qualifications
Minimum test scores
The minimum University requirements for test scores are:
93 with minimum of 20 in each category. In order to satisfy the requirement, applicants must achieve the scores listed above on a single test date. TOEFL MyBest (super-scored) results will not be used.
580 and TWE 5
Overall band score of 7.0 of the academic (NOT general) test with a minimum of 6.5 in each section
Overall 70; minimum 60 in each section
Pearson Academic (PTE)
Overall 65; minimum 60 in each section
Cambridge English Qualifications
C1 Advanced - minimum score of 193
Please note: Candidates below the English Language requirements will be asked to retake the test.
Status in Canada
- If you are not a Canadian citizen or don’t have landed immigrant status you must have a valid Canadian student visa.
- Learn more about being an international student at SFU.
- Download a copy of SFU's Pre-Arrival Guide for newly admitted international and exchange students.
Connect with our team
Our admissions team is more than happy to answer your questions so you know what you can expect before, during, and beyond your program.
Segal Graduate School
500 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC Canada
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC Canada
Undergraduate & Graduate
250 – 13450 102 Avenue
Surrey, BC Canada