big picture thinker
CPHR British Columbia and Yukon designation pathway
Through a collaborative partnership with CPHR BC & Yukon, SFU's Beedie School of Business now offers an accredited pathway to the Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation. This partnership provides numerous benefits for students aspiring to pursue a career in human resources.
What is the CPHR Designation?
The CPHR designation is a nationally recognized achievement in the field of human resources. CPHR Canada represents 31,000 human resources professionals practicing human resources in Canada. Holding the CPHR designation enables you to expand your network and explore career opportunities across the country. By earning the CPHR designation, you establish your credibility as an HR expert, showcasing your mastery of all aspects of human resources and demonstrating to employers nationwide your commitment to the highest standards of professional practice in HR.
Accreditation pathway: SFU Beedie's HR program
SFU Beedie's HR program offers a designated pathway (Path 3 - Accredited) leading to the CPHR designation. To qualify for this pathway, you must complete the following courses (BUS 272, 237, and 381) plus a minimum of three out of four of the level 400 courses (BUS 481, 482, 483 or 484). Obtaining a minimum GPA of 70 per cent will pre-qualify you for exemption from the National Knowledge Exam (NKE).
|Course Number||Course Name||Credits|
|BUS237||Introduction to Business Technology Management||3|
|BUS272||Behaviour in Organizations||3|
|BUS381||Introduction to Human Resource Management||3|
|BUS481||Recruitment & Selection||3|
|BUS483||Introduction to Employment Law||3|
Please note that this accreditation pathway is also available retroactively to students who graduated June 2017 or later.
Exemption from the NKE
Graduates can follow these steps to claim exemption from the National Knowledge Exam (NKE):
- Be a student member of CPHR BC & Yukon while in school. SFU students receive 25 per cent off student membership. Please reach out to Jill Liu at email@example.com to receive the discount code to use online.
- Complete your accredited degree including the SFU Beedie courses listed above (all of BUS 272, 237, and 381) plus a minimum of three out of four of the level 400 courses [BUS 481, 482, 483 or 484]) with a grade of 70 per cent or B-.
- Send your official transcript demonstrating an average of minimum 70 per cent to Trish Andrea, CPHR Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the Exam Exemption Form is processed, you will be sent a confirmation and invoice for payment. Congratulations—you are now an official CPHR Candidate.
Benefits of joining CPHR BC & Yukon
By becoming a member of CPHR BC & Yukon and while completing the HR program at SFU Beedie, you gain several advantages. CPHR BC & Yukon encourages students interested in HR to join early to enjoy these benefits:
- Lower student membership dues
- Discounts on registration for the annual HR conference hosted by CPHR BC & Yukon
- Exclusive access to a mentoring program with experienced HR professionals
- Exclusive access to job postings on the membership site
- Access to networking events with HR professionals
- Events for HR students
- Volunteer opportunities to build your resume
- Exemption from the National Knowledge Exam (NKE) with a minimum GPA of 70 per cent in the required HR courses
For more detailed information, refer to the CPHR BC & Yukon info sheet available here.
Upcoming info session
To provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the new CPHR accreditation pathway offered through SFU Beedie's HR program and address any questions you may have, we will be hosting an info session. Please find the details for the upcoming session below:
Webinar title: CPHR Designation & Beedie Partnership Info Session
Date: Friday, July 14
Time: 10 - 11 a.m. PST
Host/panelists/speakers names and titles:
- Quinne Davey, Member Relations Manager Lower Mainland, CPHR BC & Yukon
- Trish Andrea, CPHR Registrar, CPHR BC & Yukon
Please register here. Registration deadline is July 14, 2023 at 9am.