If you receive an invitation from SFU Beedie School of Business to complete the online Supplemental Application form, it means that we want to learn more about you and how your experiences and achievements, in combination with your academics, have prepared you for new and exciting challenges at SFU Beedie School of Business. Specifically, your Supplemental Application will be used to assess other factors beyond GPA that contribute to your overall preparedness for SFU Beedie’s programs. The following information will help guide you through the supplemental application process and how to best prepare.
What is Assessed on the Supplemental Application?
The online, supplemental application will include:
- A written, short answer response
- Two video interview responses
- An explanation of the activities you've engaged in and achievements you've accomplished within the last 4 years
- References, with at least one being academic in nature
- Any additional information in support of your application
Race, ethnicity, religion, sex, age and all other protected grounds as defined by section 8 of the B.C. Human Rights Code are excluded from the evaluation.
Multiple qualified assessors, who are part of SFU Beedie’s Supplemental
Evaluation Committee, read each application. Assessors evaluate
applications blind (i.e. without seeing names, contact information,
grades, etc.) and base their assessment on a set rubric. Once assessed,
your Supplemental Score is combined with your Academic Performance to
produce your overall ranking.
Applicants with hidden or visible disabilities who believe they may need application accommodations are encouraged to contact the SFU Centre for Accessible Learning as soon as possible to ensure that they are eligible, and that approved accommodations and services are implemented in a timely fashion.
What does a strong Application Include?
Strong Academic Performance
You have been invited to apply through the online, supplemental application because you currently have a Business Admission GPA in a range that suggests you may be well qualified for admission to SFU Beedie School of Business.
While we want to learn more about you through the supplemental application, your marks still matter. The required courses that you complete for admission demonstrate your preparedness in the field of Business through both Business-specific and corresponding, preparatory courses.
If your current Business Admission GPA includes courses that are in-progress, make sure to keep your grades up. We review all offers of admission upon receipt of final grades for the following criteria:
- Successfully complete all required courses with a C- minimum.
- Maintain a competitive Business Admission GPA of 2.80 or higher.
- Maintain an SFU Business Course GPA of 2.30 or higher.
- Must be in Good Academic Standing
Activities and Achievements
Your application should demonstrate experience(s) in one or more of the following areas:
- Arts (performing, visual, music, and/or written)
- Community leadership and/or involvement
- Work experience
- Other areas
Strong Communication Skills
You should ensure that your communication skills (oral, listening and written) are well developed. Make sure to practice and refine these skills through your required courses, such as English, Philosophy or World Literature, as well as any additional support services that SFU may offer, such as public speaking workshops (ex. Toastmasters), the Student Learning Commons (SLC)*, and SFU Career Services.
*Please note that the SLC will not proofread or edit your work but will help you develop your own effective proofreading and editing strategies that will help you beyond your application to SFU Beedie.
You will need to provide contact information for two referees. Make sure to pick referees who can comment about the experiences that you list in your application including your academics, extra-curricular activities, work and personal achievements, as well as personal qualities.
NOTE: One reference must be from an instructor at your college or university.
How can I best prepare for the Application?
If you think you will be, or have just been invited to complete the supplemental application, make sure to follow these tips:
- Start thinking about your application now, including who will provide your reference(s).
- Make sure to reach out to your reference(s) early; don’t wait until the last minute to ask someone.
- Review the section above on what makes a strong application. Spend time reflecting on how your experiences – both challenges and achievements - have helped prepare you for SFU Beedie School of Business.
- Read through the whole application once you have access.
- Be authentic. Ensure you are presenting your unique voice and individual story. We want to learn about you, not someone you think we want to learn about.
- Save your written responses in a word processor (ex. Microsoft Word) as you work. While you can save responses in the application itself, the form will close after 20-minutes of inactivity and any unsaved information will be lost.
- Accuracy counts. Make sure to review all information provided, as SFU Beedie School will verify information. We take any falsification of information and/or plagiarism very seriously.
- Plan ahead and be prepared for any logistical considerations, such as applying well-before before the deadline to minimize the risk of missing it, having a method of payment ready for the application fee, and providing information to your references ahead of time.
- Applicants will be required to complete short answer video interview questions. To prepare we recommend that you not only take advantage of completing the practice interviews* embedded in the application, but also SFU's resources (Interview feedback via Career Services, online practice via WIL's InterviewPrep) in order to gain feedback and develop your interview skills ahead of time. Doing so isn't just a benefit for preparing for your application but future job opportunities as well.
*Note: You can complete the practice interviews as many times as you like to get acquainted with the system and no one will be able to see your practice videos, except you.
Video Interview Submission Details
- Once you're ready to begin your official interview, you will need to select the "Start Assessment" button.
- One video interview question will be asked and then the text will be displayed on the screen for about 60 seconds. A countdown clock will appear.
- Once the countdown clock has reached 0 (zero), your webcam and mic will turn on and you will have 90 seconds to verbally respond to the question. Just like a real in-person interview, you will only have one chance to respond to the question.
- You can choose to end your response at any time during the 90 second recording time.
- You will then repeat this process for the second question.
- When the interview is complete, you will return to the Supplemental Application and see a green check mark next to the Video Interview section.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why was I invited to complete the supplemental application?
If you received an email invitation from SFU Admissions requesting you to complete the Supplemental Application, it means that your Business Admission GPA on the required courses fell between 2.80 and 3.29.
Consequently, we want to learn more about you and the experiences and achievements, in combination with your academics, which have prepared you for new and exciting challenges at SFU Beedie.
*IMPORTANT: Keep a record of your supplemental invitation email, as it will contain instructions on where, by when, and how to complete your application.
I think I should have received an invitation, but do not see it in my inbox; OR I lost my invitation. What should I do?
Please make sure to check your email accounts’ spam and/or junk mail folders in case it has been automatically filed there. This is particularly common if you are using or forwarding mail to Hotmail, Live, or Outlook.
NOTE: If you are unsure or have lost your invitation, please contact the SFU Beedie Undergraduate Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to provide your 9-digit SFU Student Number.
Do I have to complete the supplemental application?
The admission route GPA with Supplemental Application is optional. In order to be considered for this admission route you will need to complete the Supplemental Application form in addition to attaining a Business Admission GPA within 2.80-3.29.
What happens if I do not complete the supplemental application form?
If you choose not to complete the supplemental application form your application will only be assessed under the GPA-Only criteria, which is a Business Admission GPA ≥3.30 on the required courses.
What browser is recommended for accessing and completing the application?
Using Firefox or Chrome is recommended.
Can I log in and out of the form and save my responses?
You will have the ability to go into the application form as many times as you like before the deadline. You can also save your responses directly within the application. While you can save responses in the application itself, it is recommended that you draft responses in a word processor (ex. Microsoft Word) as the form will close after 20 minutes of inactivity and any unsaved information will be lost.
Can I edit my responses once I submit my application?
Once you submit your completed application, you will not be able to make edits. Be sure to double-check your application before submitting the application form.
How do I complete the application?
In order to complete the application you need to access the application through the link provided in the email invitation you received from SFU Beedie. Follow the instructions outlined in the email.
Complete each section of the application, including successful payment of the application fee. When all sections of the application are marked with a green checkmark you will be able to click the “submit” button.
*IMPORTANT: You will need to log-in using your SFU email and password.
How do I know my form has been successfully submitted?
You will know that you have successfully submitted the Supplemental Application when the green bar appears at the top of your application with the successful submission message. You will also receive a confirmation email.
How soon can I expect to know the outcome of my application?
Applications are assessed on a rolling basis; however, admission decisions will be released following SFU’s final grade release deadline.
What do I do if my application payment was not successful?
You can try again. Log back into the system and either use:
- the same credit card, if you believe you previously entered details incorrectly
- a different credit card
- or, a pre-paid credit gift card (ex. VISA, Mastercard)*
*Currently outside of Canada? Make sure that your pre-paid card can be used for Canadian transaction by checking the details of the card's terms and agreement.
What do I do if I don’t have a credit card?
You can purchase a pre-paid credit gift card (ex. VISA, Mastercard) that would allow you to cover the application fee in Canadian dollars, as well as any fees that might be associated with using the card itself.
Living outside of Canada? Make sure that your pre-paid card can be used for Canadian transactions by checking the details of the card’s terms and agreement.
What do I do if I am denied admission to the Beedie School of Business?
Reflect on why you may have been denied:
- Did you satisfy SFU Beedie Admission Evaluation requirements for your curriculum and/or country?
- Did you miss the deadline or decide not to complete the supplemental application?
- Do you have limited experiences, or did not articulate them?
Once you have reviewed your application and the questions above, think about whether or not you can improve on elements of your application. If yes, we encourage you to speak with an SFU Beedie Advisor about your next steps.
*NOTE: Should you apply again, you will be asked to explain what has changed since you last applied.
If I am not admitted to SFU Beedie School of Business will my fee be refunded?
We cannot refund the application fee as the work required to assess your application has already been completed.
Connect with Us
Learn more about the program and get in touch with our recruitment and admissions team here.