For admission to the Business Minor program, you must meet the following admission requirements:
- Be in Good Academic Standing (CGPA 2.00 or higher)
- Attain a minimum SFU business course GPA of 2.00 by the end of the application term
- Complete Required Courses for Admission (minimum grade of C- required)
- Meet the competitive Business Minor Admission Average Requirement
Admission to the Business Minor program is selective based on the size and competitiveness of the applicant pool each term. The competitive Business Minor Admission Average has varied between a 2.50-2.60 GPA in previous terms.
Admission Average & Required Courses for Admission
Complete the following 5 required courses. These courses are also used to calculate the Business Minor Admission Average.
Use the GPA Calculator to help you determine your average.
- BUS 237-3 Introduction to Technology Management
- BUS 251-3 Financial Accounting I
- BUS 272-3 Behavior in Organizations
- ECON 103-4 Principles of Microeconomics
Any one of:
- ECON 105-4 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ENGL 101W-3 Introduction to Fiction or ENGL 111W-3 Literary Classics in English
- ENGL 102W-3 Introduction to Poetry or ENGL 112W-3 Literature Now
- ENGL 103W-3 Introduction to Drama or ENGL 113W-3 Literature and Performance
- ENGL 104W-3 Introduction to Prose Genres or ENGL 114W-3 Language and Purpose
- ENGL 105W-3 Introduction to Literature and Culture or ENGL 115W-3 Literature and Culture
- ENGL 199W-3 Introduction to University Writing
- PHIL XX1-3 Critical Thinking or PHIL 105-3 Critical Thinking
- PHIL 100W-3 Knowledge and Reality
- PHIL 120W-3 Moral Problems
- WL 101W-3 Writing About Literature
- WL 103W-3 Pre-Modern World Literature
- WL 104W-3 Modern World Literature
Any of one these courses may be replaced by any three unspecified transfer units in English or in ENGL-Writing at the 100- or 200-level.
NOTE: The following courses are not required for admission, even though these courses are listed as part of the lower division requirements for graduation:
- BUS 200-3 Business Fundamentals
- BUS 233-3 Introduction to Business Law and Ethics
We encourage you to take BUS 200-3 before attempting any lower division business courses to gain foundational knowledge.
You may only repeat 2 of the 5 required courses for the Business Minor program.
Effective Summer 2020 Admission - Of the required courses, a maximum of 2 of the 5 required courses may be repeated one time each for admission.
Should you repeat more than 2 of the 5 courses, the best 2 are used to calculate your Business admission average. We evaluate subsequent repeated, required courses based on the letter grade achieved on the first attempt at the course.
Minimum Grade in Each of the Required Courses
Admission to SFU Beedie School of Business requires a minimum C- (C minus) grade in each of the required courses. This complies with the graduation requirements outlined in the SFU Calendar.