For admission to the Business Minor program, you must meet the following admission requirements:
- Be in Good Academic Standing (CGPA 2.00 or higher)
- Attain a minimum SFU Business Course GPA of 2.00 by the end of the application term
- Complete Required Courses for Admission (minimum grade of C- required)
- Meet the competitive Business Minor Admission Average Requirement
For students who have completed admission requirements during the Spring 2020 term, please click here for our frequently asked questions.
Admission to the Business Minor program is selective based on the size and competitiveness of the applicant pool each term. The competitive Business Minor Admission Average has varied between a 2.50-2.60 GPA in previous terms.
Admission Average & Required Courses for Admission
Complete the following 5 required courses. These courses are also used to calculate the Business Minor Admission Average.
Use our GPA Calculator to calculate your Business Minor Admission Average.
- BUS 237-3 Introduction to Technology Management
- BUS 251-3 Financial Accounting I
- BUS 272-3 Behavior in Organizations
- ECON 103-4 Principles of Microeconomics (or ECON 113-3)
And any one of:
- ECON 105-4 (or ECON 115-3)
- ENGL 111W-3
- ENGL 112W-3
- ENGL 113W-3
- ENGL 114W-3
- ENGL 115W-3
- ENGL 199W-3
- PHIL XX1-3 or PHIL 105-3
- PHIL 100W-3
- PHIL 110-3
- PHIL 120W-3
- PHIL 150-3
- WL 101W-3
- WL 103W-3
- WL 104W-3
- WL 105W-3
Any one of the above ENGL/PHIL/WL courses may be replaced by any three unspecified
transfer units in English or in ENGL-Writing at the 100 or 200 level.
NOTE: The following courses are not required for admission, even though these courses are listed as part of the lower division requirements for graduation:
- BUS 200-3 Business Fundamentals
- BUS 233-3 Introduction to Business Law and Ethics
We encourage you to take BUS 200-3 before attempting any lower division business courses to gain foundational knowledge.
Of the required courses, a maximum of 2 of the 5 required courses may be repeated one time each for admission.
Should you repeat more than 2 of the 5 courses, the best 2 are used to calculate your Business Minor Admission GPA. We evaluate subsequent repeated, required courses based on the letter grade achieved on the first attempt at the course.
Minimum Grade in Each of the Required Courses
Admission to SFU Beedie School of Business requires a minimum C- (C minus) grade in each of the required courses. This complies with the graduation requirements outlined in the SFU Calendar.