All program requirements and transfer admission requirements must be graded using the Standard Grade System.
All BUS courses (other than BUS 216 and BUS 221) and courses that meet program requirements for Bus Major/Joint Major/Bus Honours/Joint Honours/Minor /Business Certificates are not considered electives and must have letter grades. These courses will not meet the Business program requirements if the Elective Grade System (P/CR/NC) option is selected. Once the deadline has passed, the grade option cannot be changed.
Please consult with an advisor if you are unsure about your choice.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If your question is not answered below please check the Elective Grade System - Student support and resources FAQ
I am a business major/joint major/minor student, which courses can I choose the P/CR/NC grade system for?
- All program requirements and transfer admission requirements must be graded using the Standard Grade System with two exceptions in BUS 216 & BUS 221 as these do not meet program requirements. In non-business selective courses where a BUS student must complete "one of these courses" a standard letter grade must be completed in at least one option.
I am a business major student and want to opt in for the P/CR/NC grade system within the courses used towards meeting my WQB requirements. Is this possible?
- Business Major students complete their writing (W), quantitative (Q), breadth-social science courses and 3-units of breadth-humanities (in select cases), directly through the lower-division and upper-division course requirements. As the successful completion of a course with a minimum C-minus or elected P grade is required for it to be used towards meeting a WQB requirement, Business Major students may elect a P grade within courses used to meet Breadth-Science and Breadth-Humanities requirements which is not also used towards meeting their lower-division requirement (i.e., the one of ENGL/PHIL/WL required within the lower division requirements). For reference, please see SFU's Breadth designated courses.
I am a business minor student with 16 satisfied units of upper division business coursework, can I choose a P/CR/NC grades in additional upper division coursework?
- All BUS courses (except the two exceptions) are considered program requirements otherwise degree progression may be impacted. If it is a non-business upper division course than you can elect the Elective Grade System (P/CR/NC) option.
I am a business major student taking an elective 400-level BUS course out of interest (not in my concentration or the core) is it possible to choose the Elective Grade System for this in this course?
- All BUS courses (except those two exceptions) are considered program requirements otherwise degree progression may be impacted.
What happens if I chose a non-standard letter grade in a Business course that is neither BUS 216 or 221? How is that counted towards my overall degree requirements?
- It is the responsibility of the student to carefully select courses that are not program requirements as goSFU will not stop you from selecting the Elective Grade System (P/CR/NC) option for a business course. Past the deadline your selection cannot be changed. Students may designate a maximum of 12 units of elective grades toward degree completion. Consult an advisor how this course may have impacted degree progression.
I have elected a P/CR/NC grade in a required course for admission (Major, Minor, Joint Major) and now have to repeat this course. Which grade will you use in the admission calculation? Will this count as a repeat?
- Required course for admission will require a letter grade and it will count as a repeat.
When 36 units of Upper Division BUS have been met, can additional 9 units of Upper Division include non-business P/CR to make up the total of 45 units for this requirement?
- The Elective Grade System (P/CR/NC) can be chosen for non-BUS upper division. All upper division BUS courses must have a letter grade. Consult with an advisor as P/CR in upper division requirements have impacts within some concentrations and may impact graduate school considerations.
As a business major student can I choose P/CR/NC for my Directed Study elective in another program?
- Requirements for directed studies are unique to each course and you should consult that department regarding requirements.
As a non-business student will electing for the P/CR/NC in a BUS course allow me to enroll in a future pre-requisite course in BUS?
- A (P) will satisfy prerequisite courses when no minimum letter grade is required.
I am a business major student looking to pursue a joint major. I am currently taking an elective that will become a program requirement, can I choose a P/CR/NC for this course?
- You can select the Elective Grade System (P/CR/NC) option for this course but upon admission you will need to retake this course or another comparable course if that is an option.